About Harriette Hartigan InSight Photography
Photographing the exquisite experience of childbirth for the first time in 1975, I longed for everyone to see what I was witnessing… courage, strength, love, passion in the grace of woman giving birth, babe being born. The profound emotional, bodily, social and spiritual realms came into utterly clear focus.
I am delighted and privileged to work with the affirming power of photography.
Photography brings to sight what has been lived. Photographs give time to ponder the details.
I integrate photography with my background in psychology and the experience of being a midwife to make visible the exquisite realm of birth.
My photographs appear in many publications (selected list):
- Princeton University Press
- Harcourt Health Sciences
- Simon & Schuster
- American Baby
- St. Martin’s Press
- TenSpeed/Celestial Arts
- BROUGHT to EARTH by BIRTH
Guest Lecturer (selected list):
- University of Michigan
- Columbia University
- Lamaze International Conference
- American College of Nurse Midwives
- Midwifery Today Conferences
- Yale University
- Michigan State University
- Visual Presentations
- The Birth Disc, 1989. 10,000 photographs on a laser disc illustrating the childbirth experience.